Friday, January 25, 2008

Can it really be the day?????

So it is day zero!!! Leben is on his way now in the cargo from West Virginia and he will be here at 4:25pm but we're getting to the airport alot early just so if he is early, we are there to be with him. We don't want him waiting around more than he needs to. He would have gone through so much stress by then. Kelly, the breeder called to let us know that he is at the airport, and that he is a big hit with everyone there. Brandon and I can't wait!! Brandon was suppose to fly today but unfortunately, there is a fire light so he's stuck on base. I don't know exactly what that is but he was suppose to be home at 12:30pm, and it's now 1:10pm. So hopefully he won't be too much later because we still have to make some errand runs, like getting Leben his proplan food from petsmart before we go to the airport. I guess we have a couple hours still but I'm so anxious!! I woke up at 7am to go work out and have been cleaning the house up till now, so everything will be clean and less stressful for Leben.

I've been meaning to post this but you know how life goes. When we got back from our christmas trip, we headed to pensacola to the naval base because Brandon wanted to show me the forts. I hate to say this, but I really didn't know what a fort really looked like. My idea of a fort, were the mattress forts my sister and I used to make when we were younger. hahahaha. So when he verbally described it to me, I pictured a wet floored, stinky dungeon. It wasn't until we got there that I realised how cool it was!

Here's a part of the hallway of the fort, it's fully lined with bricks. On the right side are narrow windows (without glass of course) for when the men would fire at the enemies. Then on the left side the wall stopped half way and the rest was filled with dirt on a slant. Not really sure what that is for.

Here's a picture of the narrow windows looking out to the beach.Unfortunately without a tour guide, I suspect that this was a jail for the prisoners that they caught, though it could be a gun powder barrel storage room.
This is the scene from the back end of the fort looking out to the water. PURTY!!!!!!
The front of the fort is really interesting. I wish I could have gone right up to it to take a picture of how old the bricks are.

And lastly, this area is in the back of the fort also where the men would sleep and where more storage was available for their supplies.

It was really fun, though we got there an hour before it closed so it was a quick tour and the lady that was there was so nice and told us all the things we could do here in Pensacola like the hiking and camping. It's top secret though, we're not allowed to tell others so that the area is not raided by tourists. Sorry folks. :-(



2 comments:

thisgoodhearth said...

So, question: Did Brandon know about the fort before when we were there? Because, that would have been an interesting place to visit. If you remember, we were running out of places to go starting Day 3 !

Emily said...

That fort looks familiar. I want to say that I've been there, but I'm not sure. Like on a vacation.

It's the day! Yay! Well, now you probably have him, so hope everything is going well.